Monday, April 18, 2011

Volunteering


At the age of 18, I took a trip to Africa to work at an orphanage with over 200 kids. I can not put into words all of the amazing things that happened there...all I can say is that it changed my life!

I knew before I went on that trip that I wanted to be a nurse and after I came home I had a strong desire to go back there on a medical mission. Ever since I have graduated (which as been over a year now...can you believe it?!), I have thought about Africa a lot more frequently. I know that I want to use my training as a nurse to help those who are unable to receive or afford medical care. We aren't in a place were we can go on an oversees adventure right now, but I dream about that day and I am always looking for things I can do here in Phoenix to help.

A few months ago I met one of the Doctors who started the Neighborhood Christian Clinic in downtown Phoenix. It is a volunteer driven clinic that provides medical and dental care the the uninsured, underserved community. Just last year they saw over 7,000 patients at the clinic. Along with providing medical care, they also share the gospel and pray with the patients at their visit. After he told me all about it, I immediately knew that I wanted to get involved there.

I have been volunteering there twice a month since January and I enjoy it every time i have the chance to go. Most of the time there are 3 Doctors and 2 Nurses there for each shift. While I am there, I get to use skills that I learned in school to help those who are sick and in need. A lot of the patients that we see speak spanish, so I'm having to either grab an interpreter or try and use the little spanish that I learned in high school (along with a cheat sheet of medical-spanish terms) to try to communicate. I tend to use a lot of non-verbal communication and smiling as much as I can when talking to most of the patients. It's hard, but I am hoping that I can pick up some spanish along the way.



If you are looking for a place to give financially or if you are in the healthcare field looking for a place to donate your time this is a great ministry!
www.thechristianclinic.org

No comments: