Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Finally, My First Real Birth

Shaun and I are both back to our regular schedule of school. I'll talk more about what else is going on and my thoughts on everything that happened, but for know I am going to tell you about my exciting day at clinicals! 

I am 5 weeks into my Labor and Delivery rotation at Mountain Vista. This week I finally got to see my first vaginal delivery! 

I arrived on the floor at 7am and was assigned to a mom who was 4 cm dilated and just about to receive her epidural. I walked into the room just in time to watch the epidural being placed. The mom looked like she was in a lot of pain! Fifteen minutes after she received the epidural, she was chatting up a storm with all of her nurses. It was funny to see the almost immediate change! She progressed rather quickly and delivered the baby at 9:45 am. It was amazing to get to be right there in all of the action through the whole birth! Without getting into much detail...it was a interesting to watch the experience that the mother had during the actual birthing process.  I am definitely in no hurry to experience that kind of trauma! haha. But what made it all worth it was to watch everything that happened after the birth. Once the baby was out, both the mom and dad were so happy to finally meet their baby girl!  It was a lot of fun to get to take care of the mom after the birth, help her breastfeed, give the baby its first bath, change the baby's first diaper, and everything else that we did ("we"- meaning my fellow student and I). 
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and I am excited to do it again! 

The miracle of birth is so amazing! I love Labor and Delivery! 

No comments: