Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Day in the Operating Room


 This week in clinicals I got the chance to spend the day following a nurse in the operating room. I arrived at 7am, changed into the OR scrubs and met up with the nurse that I was going to follow.
She was already in the middle of asking our first patient questions and getting her prepped for her surgery. I really loved seeing everything that goes into completing a surgery. It was interesting to see what the Nurse does and how she manages everything that she is in charge of. I got the chance to see 3 surgeries. All of them were done laparoscopically. I was kind of hoping to see them crack open a chest...but no such luck. It was still really neat to see the inside of the abdomen on the screens and to watch them operate with out even cutting them fully open. 
I really think that I could enjoy being an OR Nurse. I found it exciting. I did not think that I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. I am definitely keeping it on the list of possible areas that I could enjoy working in. 

The end of my semester is wrapping up and it is cool to think of how much I have learned already and all of the neat things that I have had the chance to see. 

ps: no laughing at how ridiculous I look in the cap and surgical mask  :)

3 comments:

Shaun Palmer said...

Caps and surgical masks are hot!!!

The High Family said...

I think you look very cute in your cap and surgical mask. You are going to be a great nurse!

jeninthedesert said...

You look adorable in the surgical attire! I spent my OR rotation watching colonoscopies and endoscopies. You've seen one bowel, duodenum, or stomach and you've seen them all (unless something really abnormal is present!).